Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Place of the Week: The Ryugyong Hotel

The Place of the Week heads out on yet another ill-advised voyage. This time we're traveling to the Hermit Kingdom: North Korea, where the women are strong, the men are good looking, and the children are above average. Oh, wait - wait, no. I'm thinking of something else. North Korea is actually an internationally isolated, broken society suffering from decades of Communist oppression. And into it we journey, with the Place of the Week: the Ryugyong Hotel!



Status
: hotel/metaphor
Area (floor): 360,000 sq m
Population: none unto eternity, in all likelihood
Stories: 105
Height: 330 m
Rank among world's tallest buildings: 24
Remarkably inapt meaning of name: "Capital of Willows"

Snuggly nestled into the bosom of North Korea's capital, Pyongyang, the Ryugyong Hotel was a classic example of Cold War oneupsmanship. After a company from South Korea built the Westin Stamford Hotel, then the world's largest hotel, in Singapore, their rival sibling to the north was inspired to do them one better. The government commissioned a project to build the new world's tallest hotel as a groundbreaking effort to attract foreign investment, and to establish a towering symbol of the nation's glory.

Construction on the pyramid-shaped scheme began in 1987, and continued apace for the next five years. Wikipedia describes the building thus:
The reinforced concrete structure consists of three wings, the face of each wing measuring 100 m (328 ft) long and 18 m (59 ft) wide, which converge at a common point to form a pinnacle. At the top is a 40 m (131 ft) wide circular structure which contains eight floors intended to rotate, topped by a further six static floors. A construction crane is perched at the top, and has assumed the role of a permanent fixture. The hotel is surrounded by a number of pavilions, gardens, and terraces. Its walls slope at a steep 75 degree angle.
By 1992, the government had spent three-quarters of a billion dollars on the thing, or about 2% of North Korea's GDP. Such was the regime's pride in the edifice that it was bedecking the nation's postage stamps before it was even halfway built.

And then the project began to fail. Unsurprisingly, given the enormous relative scale of the project, funding increasingly became an issue. There were electrical problems. The elevators never quite worked, and a famine in 1990 disrupted the government's plans. There are evidently serious structural problems with the building as well, as the low-quality concrete of which it is built has proved unable to support it's enormous scale. The official line is that the project ran out of money - itself a significant concession to reality for a government that is loathe to reveal any sort of weakness. In 1992, construction was finally brought to a halt. The shell of the building has loomed over Pyongyang ever since, without windows or lights, a preposterous icon of the state and a metaphor for the hollowness of the ambitions of the North Korean regime. In recent years, the government has been airbrushing the building out of official photos.

Work, of a sort, re-commenced on the building in 2008, as an Egyptian firm was seen to be touching up the top floors of the hotel. A North Korean official has said that the building will be renovated by 2012, in time for the 100th anniversary of Kim Il Sung's birth. A spokesman for the Egyptian firm, Orascom, has indicated a relatively modest goal of "redo[ing] the facade to make it more attractive." Retouching the facade: at this late date, that's about all that the government can do.

(For more Abandoned Wonders of Asia, check out this fantastic list from Web Urbanist.)

35 comments:

Benjamin said...

I love place of the week! This is definitely my favorite blog.

K H D and sometimes T said...

I'd like to stay there. Even if it is just an empty shell looming quietly over the north korean people and casting its long, triangular shadow over their hopes and dreams. Hell, all the more reason to stay there. Imagine the sense of power / futility that would course through your veins.

Chachy said...

Thanks, B! Place of the week is, as it happens, incredibly time-consuming. Which is why it's such an ill-advised endeavour. They are fun to write, but I don't know how long I'll be able to keep it up.

Many consonants: I understand DPRK is looking to boost tourist numbers. You could see if expedia has any Air Koryo/Hotel of Doom package deals.

oxwof said...

I love how it goes unmentioned by tour guides, as though it could be ignored. "Hey, what's that unbelievably massive building over there?" "Oh, that's just this thing. Hey, look! A picture of Kim Il-Sung!!!"

Benjamin said...

Perhaps you could make it place of the month? Or maybe place of the bi-week. Don't get rid it of completely though!

Dieran Blog said...

I really like this web and I'm very thankful your web information is very helpful .. our team is always successful.

Chapunk Brinkka said...

PLEASE VISIT MY BLOG!!
We want to tell you how to enlarge penis a naturally with herbal supplements,without surgery and completely natural.

justin bieber said...

The next time I read a blog, I hope that it doesnt disappoint me as much as this one.

asthma medication said...

Good data, plenty of thank you to the author. It’s puzzling to me now, typically, the usefulness in addition to significance is overpowering. Significantly thanks once more and best of luck!

tendonitis remedy said...

Good data, plenty of thank you to the author. It’s puzzling to me now, typically, the usefulness in addition to significance is overpowering. Significantly thanks once more and best of luck!

erectile dysfunction treatment said...

What an ridiculous assortment of well finished articles, it looks like now-a-days everyone seems to be simply copy/pasting and stealing content material all the time, but I guess there's nonetheless hope in sincere blogging.

stop smoking aid said...

I’ve been looking for a while for any good content articles in relation to this explicit level . Searching in Yahoo and google I lastly discovered this url. After studying this submit I'm delighted to say that I get a wonderful uncanny feeling I stumbled upon the very things I was wanting for. I most actually will make certain to don’t neglect this blog and take a look consistently.

best colon cleanse products said...

Once I originally commented I clicked the “Notify me when new comments are added” checkbox and now every time a remark is added I get four emails with the identical comment. Is there any manner you may take away me from that service? Thanks

natural hemorrhoids treatment said...

Pretty good post. I just stumbled upon your weblog and wanted to say that I have really enjoyed studying your blog posts.Any means In poor health be subscribing to your feed and I hope you put up again soon.

erectile dysfunction remedy said...

We're a gaggle of volunteers and starting a new initiative in a community. Your blog provided us priceless info to work on. You might have achieved a marvellous job!

eczema cure said...

Simply need to say your article is as tonishing. The clearness in your put up is just spectacular and i can assume you are an professional on this subject. Properly along with your permission enable me to seize your rss feed to maintain updated with forthcoming post. Thanks a million and please keep up the gratifying work.

diabetes causes said...

Thanks very much for this flawless post;this is the words that retains me on observe by way of out the day. I have been trying around in your site after I heard about them from a buddy and was thrilled after I was capable of finding it after trying to find lengthy time. Being a avid blogger, I’m glad to see others taking initivative and contributing to the community. Simply wished to comment to show my appreciation on your web site as it is very difficult to do, and lots of writers don't get credit score they deserve. I am positive I’ll go to again and can unfold the word to my friends.

insomnia treatment said...

The closing paragraph tells it all in my opinion. I must say that I agree with it, and probably the most great thing about it's that you just left it open ended…this exhibits that you are prepared to draw in new and totally different opinions and that you're finally very interested to see folks getting concerned within the subject. So, any alternative opinions?

konsultan perusahaan said...

I think people fear idea management and innovation because there's a significant number of ideas that simply won't plan out.......Nice statement.....keep posting

belajar internet marketing said...

this day I've been searching for information on various issues, this I found very good and I would like to congratulate you for your work.

parcel lebaran said...

I think that this post is one of the best that i have read in my life, congrats you did a great job,.

delayed orgasm said...

the difference between the content spammers and most corporate innovators is that the smaller

how to avoid premature ejaculation said...

I'm writing to you because I just came across a business that I think has great potential. It lets you save money on almost everything. Make money from almost everything,

konsultan seo said...

If growth is important to a firm, and if growth is dependent on offering existing products and services to new customers

tabungan pendidikan said...

innovation is very natural and happens in the "real world" as new plants and animals colonize new ecological niches.

mengecilkan perut said...

I wonder how you got so good. This is really a fascinating blog, lots of stuff that I can get into. One thing I just want to say is that your Blog is so perfect

how to teach dogs tricks said...

We generally think most specifically about the risk associated with a new product introduction

easy way to get pregnant said...

I would be aware that as somebody who really doesn’t comment to blogs a lot (in actual fact, this may be my first put up), I don’t think the time period “lurker” is very flattering to a non-posting reader.

tendonitis treatment said...

I really enjoyed your post, I just bookmarked this one and do you mind if I tweet your blog post out to my followers on twitter? I think they would also enjoy the blog post.

muebles cuenca said...

I saw really much worthwhile data above!

Anonymous said...

reverse cell phone lookup

reverse address lookup

cell phone directory

phone number search

free people search

criminal background check

reverse phone lookup

reverse phone lookup

Unknown said...

So nice to find somebody with some original thoughts on this subject.
stop pre ejaculation
home treatments for hemorrhoids
easy online business
No.1 Natural Cure From Japan
Proven Natural Cure For Eyes

cornerofhope said...

Pretty useful information, thank you for your article.

Anonymous said...

good article, nice
ujung kemaluan pria bernanah
sebab ujung kemaluan pria bernanah
obat ujung kemaluan pria bernanah
ujung kemaluan pria bernanah kental
pada ujung kemaluan pria bernanah

Anonymous said...

good
Obat Ambeien Wasir Herbal Manjur Alami
Obat Ambeien Herbal Manjur
Obat Ambeien Manjur Alami
Obat Ambeyen Herbal Manjur Alami
Obat Mengobati Kutil di Kemaluan
Obat untuk Mengobati Kutil
Obat untuk Kutil di Kemaluan
Pengobatan untuk Mengobati Kutil di Kemaluan
Obat untuk Mengobati Tumbuh Kutil
Pengobatan untuk Mengobati Tumbuh Kutil di Kemaluan
Obat Tumbuh Kutil di Kemaluan
Obat untuk Mengobati Tumbuh Kutil Kemaluan
Obat untuk Mengobati Benjolan Kutil
Obat untuk Benjolan Kutil di Kemaluan
Obat Mengobati Benjolan Kutil
Pengobatan untuk Mengobati Benjolan Kutil di Kemaluan
Pengobatan untuk Mengobati Ada Kutil di Kemaluan
Obat untuk Mengobati Ada Kutil
Obat Mengobati Kutil di Kemaluan
Pengobatan Mengobati Ada Kutil di Kemaluan
obat kutil kemaluan wanita
pengobatan kutil kemaluan wanita
kutil kelamin wanita
obat alami kutil kemaluan wanita
Obat Kutil Kemaluan
Obat Kutil Wanita
Pengobatan Kutil Kemaluan Wanita
Obat Alami Kutil Kemaluan Wanita
Mengobati Kutil Wanita
Mengobati Kutil Kelamin Wanita
Mengobati Kutil Kemaluan
Mengobati Penyakit Kutil Kemaluan Wanita
Penyakit Kutil Kelamin Wanita
Penyakit Kutil Wanita
Kutil Kemaluan Wanita
Penyakit Kutil di Kemaluan Wanita
menghilangkan penyakit kutil di kemaluan pria
menghilangkan kutil kemaluan pria
menghilangkan sakit kutil di kemaluan pria
menghilangkan kutil di kelamin pria
Menghilangkan Penyakit Kutil
Penyakit Kutil di Kemaluan Pria
Menghilangkan Penyakit Kutil Pria
Menghilangkan Penyakit Kutil di Kelamin Pria
cara Pengobatan Kanker
cara Pengobatan sakit Kanker Alami
Pengobatan Kanker Alami
cara Pengobatan penyakit Kanker Alami